Turkey Pot Pie–A Winter classic
Now that Christmas is over, what will you do with all that left over Turkey? Here is a classic winter favourite recipe from the Edge Social Grille & Lounge!
This turkey pot pie recipe is studded with the right ingredients to make this dish a family favourite. It is filled with hearty veggies, spices and of course let’s not forget the most important ingredient, tender turkey!
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time 1hr
Makes 1 – 10 inch pie
Pie Crust- Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cups butter
- 8 tablespoons ice water
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Mix 2 cups flour and salt with butter using pastry blender.
- Next mix in 6 to 8 tablespoons ice water and stir until mixture forms a ball.
- Divide ball in half.
- Using a rolling pin, roll one of balls to fit the bottom and sides of your baking dish.
- Next, roll out the other half of dough to form top crust.
Pie Fillings for the Turkey Pot Pie
Ingredients for Turkey Pot pie
- 4 table spoons butter, divided
- 1 minced onion, (Small)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 cups water
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Roll out bottom pie crust, press into your pie pan, and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion, celery, carrots, parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the bouillon and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in the potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in the turkey and flour. Add the milk, and heat through. Stir the turkey mixture into the vegetable mixture, and cook until thickened.
- Cool slightly, then pour mixture into the unbaked pie shell. Roll out the top crust, and place on top of filling.
- Flute edges, and make 4 slits in the top crust to let out steam.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
It truly is the perfect toasty meal to warm you up on a grey winter day!
Let us know how your turkey pot pie turned out! We would love to hear from you!