We can make a difference this Earth Hour
On March 28th, 2015 at 8.30pm the BEST WESTERN PLUS Chateau Granville Hotel & Suites & Conference Centre is joining the worldwide earth hour movement and encouraging our guests to turn off their lights for one hour to help reduce the environmental impact of their energy use and help fight climate change.
History of Earth Hour
The event was first inspired by a demonstration that took place in 2007 in Australia. More than 2 million residents of Sydney switched off their lights and appliances and used that one hour to prove a point! That first earth hour was such a success, saving more than 10% of the energy consumption in Sydney.Now, more than 120 countries have adopted earth hour to help to conserve and prevent the spread of global warming and climate changes.
What is Earth Hour?
Earth Hour is an annual event that is held in March. earth hour brings together millions of people around the world for one common purpose, “to increase awareness of the problems of global warming”.
Why is Earth Hour is so important?
It is an opportunity for people around the world to unite and offer a gesture that shows support against climate changes due to electricity overuse.
Top 5 ways to do your part this Earth Hour 2015
Here are ways you can reduce your energy consumption during earth hour and in your daily routine.
- Turn off your lights for one full hour from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m and remember to turn off your lights whenever you leave a room.
- Turning off electronics like cell phone chargers and computers can reduces your electricity bill! Did you know that electronic and kitchen appliances use power even when they are not turned on? Unplugging can cut down on energy usage!
- Run your dishwasher only once it’s full and air-dry the dishes once the washing cycle is complete.
- Use a microwave or toaster oven to cook or warm leftovers. You can save up to 30 per cent of the energy required to cook in a conventional oven.
- Avoid pre-heating the oven unless it is necessary. Unless you are baking breads and pastries, almost every other dish can go straight into the oven without pre-heating. When you are checking on your dish use the oven window instead of frequently opening the door.
Consider turning your Earth Hour experience into a lifestyle
Turning off unnecessary lights and appliances will save you money in the long run. If every person you know could take one small step towards being green, imagine the impact it.
Visit our Green page on our blog for a few extra green tips to help reduce your energy consumption.
Watch this video inspiring about Earth hour
Our world is precious to us and we must become more aware of its fragility. Keep in mind that our everyday actions can improve or deteriorate our planet. Share this blog and spread the word.
We would love to hear some of your initiatives to help our wonderful planet. Let us know what you are doing this earth hour!
Use your power to change climate change!