Have a large dinner party and looking for the perfect dessert recipe for your group, our Pears poached in Red Wine with Vanilla Mascarpone Cream is the ideal Recipe
The below makes for 20 servings! Give this recipe a try and let us know how your dessert was received by your guest!
- 10 Firm pears (do not use ripe or soft pears)
- 2 litre Red wine + 2 litre of water
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 4 cups of sugar
For Mascarpone Cream:
- 2 containers of mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup powder sugar
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
1. Peel pears in long strokes to avoid creating a choppy surface to the peeled pair.
2. Cut the pears in half lengthwise.
3.Use a melon baller or small spoon to scoop out the seeds and core. You are creating a small “bowl” in the pear half that will later hold the mascarpone cream
4. In a large saucepan, bring wine and an equal amount of water to a simmer. Split vanilla bean lengthwise and add to wine and water mixture.
5. Add cinnamon stick, bay leaves and sugar, to taste. Add pears to liquid and simmer for 20 to 35 minutes or until tender but not too soft. Remove the pears from the liquid and cool.
6. Remove the cinnamon, bay leaves and vanilla bean from the wine mixture. Continue to simmer and reduce the liquid until you are left with only ¼ of the original volume and the liquid left is a thickened syrup consistency.
7. While the wine mixture is reducing, combine in a small bowl the mascarpone cheese, heavy cream, pinch of cinnamon, vanilla extract and powdered sugar until smooth.
8. Add butter to the reduced sauce and stir until combined.
To serve, place a small dollop of the mascarpone cream on top of a dessert dish. Place a poached pear half on top of the dollop, which acts as a glue to keep it from sliding on the plate. Then fill the bowl of the pear with a generous amount of mascarpone cream. To finish spoon or drizzle the pear with wine syrup.
Don’t feel like making the dessert, stop by our restaurant, the Edge Social Grille & Lounge to taste and try it out for yourself before you make it at home!